In my list of favorite things from the election I mentioned victories for women (most notably, the defeat of the heinous and vile rape apologists). Something I inexcusably left off that list: all the victories by women. To wit:
- 77 women now in the U.S. House of Representatives, a record (and possible another depending on how Arizona turns out).
- 20 women in the U.S. Senate, a record.
- The first openly gay Senator.
- The first Asian-American female Senator.
More great moments caught on video…
1. Celebrating the victory for equality in Minnesota (via Upworthy). Fast forward to about the 2:30 mark for the best part.
2. President Obama saying thank you to campaign workers. There is just something about telling people you are proud of them that is overwhelmingly emotional. I often get this way talking with our youth group after a big accomplishment.
3. Finally, this from Rachel Maddow. I couldn’t agree more. Our country needs a viable conservative voice to be part of the conversation and debate about how to create the best policies. Our country needs a conservative voice that isn’t obsessed with white privilege. A voice that isn’t anti-women, anti-gay, anti-nonwhites. Reasonable conservatives, please come back to us!
What were your top moments from the election and its aftermath?